Monday 2 November 2015

Summary

Summary explaining what I have found out about the genre what sub genre/angle I will take based on the research I have done and whether there a particular gap in the market that I will plan to fill:

While doing my research, I have learnt the importance of having a clear genre. Having a genre helps to make the target audience more specific. For example, a classical magazine would have the target audience of older adults, as this appeals to them, whereas a rock magazine may appeal to those over 16 only as it is harsh and aggressive. The style/connotations of the genre help the audience to distinguish what the magazine is. A heavy metal may use specific colours, such black and grey.

Iconography is another topic that I looked at within my research. Making a mind map of the iconography of different genres shows me the associations/connotations/symbols given to specific genres. An example of this is the tongue icon given to the rolling stones. If in my magazine I wanted to evoke a rock theme, I might use specific images which are striking/edgy.

 During my research, I have found lots of information about the pop genre. Firstly, I looked at the differences between pop magazines in the pop and niche market. The differences were with regards to look/style, content, and audience/purpose. All of these things resulted in different circulations. Magazines of the pop genre are always mass magazines- this is because pop is widespread and enjoyed by many- it isn't niche (smaller, but specific). This shows me that my pop magazine must appeal to the mass market. A good way of me doing this is to make my magazines content as broad as possible- I could include sub genres, such as pop-rock, country pop and indie pop. This appeals therefore not just to the pop market, but also to the indie and country fans. Making the magazine less specific helps to widen my target audience, allowing for more people to engage with my magazine. A good way of doing this, especially with the front cover is to have the main image of a very relevant pop star, for example Taylor Swift, but have smaller images of The Fray, The script, etc who are pop-rock.

From my earlier research, I am aware that there are many different pop magazines. These include Q, Blender, Billboard and Classic Pop. Many of these appeal to young people/adults. There are less magazines for young people. In the UK there is only a few including Top Of The Pops and we <3 pop. I think that this is a gap in the market, and maybe an angle which I would like to take.  I would like to give an innovative approach to a magazine for young people. If I chose this as a target audience, I would also ensure to change the layout. Most children's magazine covers are very busy, which is quite visually confusing. I would give it a sophisticated approach while tailoring the content to meet the needs of young people.

Another idea which I could consider (if I chose a young target audience) is that while Top Of The Pops (which is aimed at kids) gives relevant information about the lives of celebrities, it does not inform or educate young people about the music industry itself. For people who only want to indulge in the extravagant lives of celebrities, this is satisfying. For other kids, who actually want to learn about how music is produced, it is not. I  think this is a big gap in the magazine industry which I might be able to fill. While focusing on pop stars, I could have a small feature on the production of music videos, or even behind the scenes. A feature article could be something such as 'Vevo producer talks about the video behind Taylor's new hit 'Wildest Dreams''. I could maybe even do an insight into how new talent has been scouted, to appeal to young aspiring musicians. This way, the magazine may even appeal to music departments in schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment