Friday 13 November 2015

Contents page analysis

From analysing this contents page, I have made the following conclusion about the conventions of a contents page:

  • Images- the photographs help to reinforce the front cover as well as adding a visual appeal to the page. The many different pictures show the variety of pop artists that the magazine features. The picture are framed- this rigid structure shows how organised the magazine is. When I make my own magazine I may also keep my photos in an organised structure in boxes or frames, or I may leave them disarranged and random.
  • Typography, features and text- when I make my magazine I must remember that text provides a function and purpose, not an aesthetic appeal. This means that I must ensure all page numbers refer to the right pages, and text appeals to the target audience. The font is clear, and the typography is legible and the black contrasts well with the white background. The main text is all at the bottom half of the page- this makes it easier for the reader to locate the text easily; it's accessible. When I create my magazine, the text must all be the same size and font so that each feature can be easily distinguished. The font is not too elaborate but it engages with the audience because it is bold and capitalised which portrays importance.
  • Social media icons- these are small logos at the bottom of the page which refer to Instagram, twitter and Facebook. This helps to promote the magazine by readers liking and following 'Classic Pop's social media pages. This comes up on other people's feeds, which is good because more people know about it which increases awareness and readership. It also means that the reader (if they follow the social media pages) can gain access to extra information which is not in the magazine itself. This makes them feel exclusive and connected to the magazine. When making my magazine, I will consider doing the same, especially because my target audience is young people who are the biggest users of social media.
  • Magazine name and main title- the main title is 'contents', written in a large, white font. It is unconventionally written sideways. Because it is unusual it adds interest and personality to the page, which helps to visually draw the reader in. The red box underneath is creates a colour contrast and gives the magazine a brand identity.
Conclusion
The reason I analysed this contents page was because it is a pop magazine, which will be similar to my own. It helped me to gain ideas and inspiration, as well as to see how the magazine creates it's own sense of identity and how it draws the reader in.

No comments:

Post a Comment