Thursday 26 November 2015

Uses and Gratifications Theory


Why I did this task
The reason I did this task was to find out why people read magazines, and what they get out of it. This task related to the uses and gratifications theory. I used a video format because it is visual and easy to analyse. Although I asked the people in my video similar questions, I also used a few different ones to give a wider variety. A few questions were added in in order to make them expand on points they had already mentioned.
Analysis of Results
  • Alice- she said she likes the gossip, pictures and news involved. This shows that she reads magazines to indulge in lives of celebrities, which is part of 'escaping' day to day life. With regards to the front cover, she said that the front cover attracts her because it's big and red. This shows me that when I make my magazine, I should use a bright, bold title as it is eye catching. She said that part of the reason she reads magazines is that they entertain her, she can sometimes use them to relate to her every day life. This shows that I should make my magazine fun and entertaining and use words such as 'you' to make the reader feel as if they can relate to it. In terms of distinguishing genre, Alice said that the name is very useful to her, as it instantly shows it is a music magazine. When I make my magazine, I must ensure that the front cover conveys the magazines content. The use of the word 'pop' for a pop magazine is very effective because it is literal and very easy to understand.
  • Bailey- he said he reads magazines to escape from his surroundings. He said he likes engaging with stars that he looks up to, which shows he uses magazines for inspiration. This means that my magazine should be full of interviews and facts about pop celebrities. He said that one of the main things that entertains him are the photographs. This shows me that my magazine should be packed with good quality photos on each page, as sometimes photos stand out more than text does. Bailey thought that each genre has a vibe which enables the audience to distinguish genre. This is partly due to fashion and physical clothing, but also due to the tone. When I make my magazine, I want it to have a positive, happy feel. I could do this with use of colour, style and images. He thought it was very important that the font and typography is bold. When I make my magazine, I am going to ensure that the headline, along with key information is bold and legible. This enables the reader to read it quickly as it is large and clear. He thought that the main image of Duran Duran represented genre clearly. This shows me that my main image should be an artist/band which is relevant in the pop genre.
  • Becky- she said that she doesn't regularly read music magazines. This is an area that I could focus on improving with my magazine. I should ensure that each edition links to the last, which will encourage readers to want to buy the next edition. For example, I could give a teaser of what's in the next edition. She said she likes finding out about concerts, and up and coming artists. Because my magazine is pop, I could have a feature on the front cover about upcoming concerts and gigs, as this appeals to fans who want to actively engage with pop artists. Becky said that she thinks education is a big part of magazines, especially for young people who aspire to get into the music industry. When she looked t the front cover, she specifically liked the way the main band were making eye contact with the consumer. This is something I could consider doing with my main image, it is intense and draws the consumer in. She said that one of the main reasons she USES magazines is for the information given as well as for escapism and entertainment. Like Alice, she thought that the name of the magazine was important because it helps the consumer identify genre. Another thing she thought matters is having a legible font and typography.

How this task has helped my research
I now know there are certain areas mentioned by all three interviewees that I must focus on in order to convey the ideas of my magazine effectively. These areas are stated below:

  •  Having a legible font/typography
  • A name which conveys the genre
  • An eye catching main image
  • My magazine must be entertaining, but should have elements of education/information.

1 comment:

  1. Danielle, this is very good. However we do need you to provide a detailed introduction and explanation for this post.

    What was the task?
    What did you learn?
    How will this help you in planning your future product?

    ReplyDelete