Wednesday 28 October 2015

Pop Magazine Wordle

In this task, I was asked to research into the names of, magazines in order to give me ideas for my own magazine. I looked into the names of pop genre magazines, as this is what I will be doing. It gave me ideas of names I could use and how they represent the content magazine- for example, a 'Billboard' is a way of showing an idea. I used Wordle for this task. This is because it is a great way of showing common words used for magazine names. The more common words are shown big. The word 'pop' is huge, because many of the magazines have the word pop in their name. Wordle is also a creative way of showing my research findings- it's colourful and formatted neatly.

What have I found from my research?
From my research, I have collected the following findings:
  • Meaning of Magazine names- from my research I now know the reason that most pop magazines use the word 'pop' in their name. They do it to literally convey what genre the magazine aims its content at. This makes it easier for the target audience if they set out to buy a pop magazine, as it stands out from other music magazines which have sub- genres. There is no confusion over whether it is just a general music magazine, it's genre is clear. The names are very representative of the sub genres as well. We get the impression that mixmag features not just pop music but also dance/DJ music as it sounds like a mix/mashup of music- demonstated by DJS. Classic Pop suggests more classical pop music, and it maybe focuses on some older music/artists throughout the decades.
  • Sound- some of the words actually sound like music. For example, Vibe magazine. This musical sound adds to the effect of the magazine as a whole. The names 'Express' and 'weekly' in magazine names make the audience think of a newspaper, which possibly connotes a more news-based approach to a magazine. Perhaps it is more factual and informative than gossipy.
  • Length- many of the names are short. This is to put emphasis on them, and to make it flow easily. For example, Paste, Vibe and Spin are all one syllable. It's easy to say, and its catchy. However, the magazines targeted at you kids are longer, such as Top Of The Pops and We <3 Pop. This is done as for young children, it is harder to distinguish genre. Longer names act as a basic explanation for kids who are trying to choose a magazine.
How will this help me with my magazine?
For my magazine, if i want to target my magazine at young children, I might use the word pop in the name, to create a literal explanation of the genre. To create a musical/auditory effect. I could use words such as 'smash', 'bang', 'boom' etc. These words instantly create a musical image in the readers mind. I will use a short name, to make it catchy and make it flow.

2 comments:

  1. This might work a bit better if it were rotated so the words are the right way up.
    This also needs an explanation of why you did this and what you have learned from doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have changed the words and written an explanation.

    ReplyDelete