Tuesday 13 October 2015

powtoon

The reason I did this PowToon to look at the differences between mass and niche magazine. I wanted to see the conventions used by both, how they compared and what was different. To do this, I looked at style, content, audience and circulation. For my mass magazine, I chose billboard as it is read widely by Americans and is considered one of the oldest trade magazines in the world. As my niche magazine, I chose Rock Sound magazine. Because it is rock genre, it seems appropriate for my niche research. In terms of look/style I have learnt that although the images used are striking, they have a very different tone- Rock Sound's reflects the dark, aggressive genre of the music, whereas Billboard's. The images used are more serious compared to Billboards- the artists look very distinct and unconventional. I have also learnt that in terms of advertising, the clothes that Rock Sound are advertising are very distinct and unique, whereas Billboard's fashion feature is more mainstream and conventional. There is a clear difference between the circulations in both. However, I am not surprised that more people read Billboard, because it appeals to a wider audience. Rock Sound's audience is much more specific- Rock is not broad like pop. This research helped to show me what conventions I would need to conform with in order to fit the mass/niche magazine genres.

2 comments:

  1. Once again, try not to fit too much information (good though it is) onto each page. Make it as easy as possible to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have put some of the information on to new slides, to make it more accessible and less dense

    ReplyDelete