Thursday 24 September 2015

Here I have uploaded a wordle of different music magazine names. This will be useful to me because I have learnt the naming conventions of magazines, and how they differ depending on the genre, and the target audience. For example, one of the pop magazines is called billboard. This is because it connotes the idea of a pop celebrity on a billboard poster promoting their new album. However, the children's magazine 'top of the pops', has a more literal name to appeal to the more basic understanding that children have. It literally features top of the pop charts artists. 

On the other hand, vibe magazine is read predominately by young people, who use the word 'vibe' to describe the atmosphere between groups of people/given situations. In music, a vibe is any musical aspect or quality indicative of a genre. Harsher names, such as Kerrang! and blaze have been used for magazines of a slightly more aggressive genre such as punk or rock.This research has also shown me the breadth of magazines available in the music industry, for example the many different genres available, such as pop, classical, hip-hop, punk, history of music, indie etc. 

I have also been able to see why specific names have been chosen to fit specific genres and how this is effective. For example, blended magazine sounds as if it features a 'blended' variety of different genres, which it does. It's clever, because the topic of the content can be implied from the name alone. From my research, I now know that when I choose a name for my magazine, it must be relevant to the genre, target audience and content. I also know what names are already out there, and how I could use them as a guide. For example, if I wanted to do a pop magazine, I would look at the names of different pop magazines, and how the names were relevant to the top and genre.

2 comments:

  1. This is good, especially with a detailed explanation to go along with it. Just make sure to use paragraphs to make it easy to read.

    ReplyDelete